“A ship is safe in the harbor, but that’s not what ships are built for.” – Gael Attal

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

2 Weeks

Today I have officially been in New Zealand for two weeks and the "I'm here on vacation" feeling is starting to dwindle and the "I get to live this life for 5 more months"feeling is coming on strong. The first two weeks were packed with traveling, exploring, more exploring, and discovering New Zealand. I traveled from Auckland to Rotorua down to Wellington with about forty other American students getting acquainted with NZ life. We went caving, mountain biked, hiked, swam in mountain lakes, played rugby and even attended a Maori banquet. (All of these events were rain or shine... mostly rain).
Some of my Fellow American Students
View from Campus
Now those American students are my unofficial family in the unfamiliar city of Wellington, and one of them is even my flatmate! The two of us and a Kiwi (native New Zealander) share a three bedroom apartment about 20 minutes walk from campus and a 5 minute walk from the harbor. It might be the smallest space I've ever lived in, but our collection of mismatched dishes and walls covered in pinned up maps is making it feel more like a home.
Evening at the Harbor 
Wellington is the cultural capital (and actual capital) of New Zealand. It is full of modern sculptures and every face of every building boasts colorful murals. The downtown area hosts galleries, hole in the wall concert venues, and cafes with outdoor seating serving long blacks (black coffees). Wellington is also the hilliest place I've ever been. Trust me when I say I will have one toned butt by July.
Yesterday, at 20 degrees celsius, was the warmest day in Wellington I've experienced yet. I spent the whole day next to the water soaking up the sun. Looking out into the Harbor, my friend Sarah and I just kept saying, "I wish we could live here.... Wait, we do!"

I can't wait to explore more of the city and the country and keep you all updated as I do! Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment